Why Your Reading This...

The aim of this blog and to be honest the aim of what i want to do in life is break into the UK radio industry. This blog will follow my final steps in the UK university system and hopefully my ups and downs into breaking into the industry

Sunday 24 October 2010

HOPE FM to Oxjam

So in the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of random things ranging from the theoretical to the practical. Since my last blog I've been round Hope FM in Bournemouth (http://www.hopefm.com/) its the towns first community radio station and can be picked up from Southampton to Poole, we got a talk from the stations founder Blair Crawford and its manager Kevin Potter. Its based in the YMCA building and is funded by 50% donations and is proud to say it is one of the most financially stable community stations in the country, after a being told about the history and about the day to day running of the station they took us into the studio were the Lunch Byte show was on air.

Later that day once back on the Talbot campus we also got to grips with our first editing software that we are to use whilst on the course (Adobe Audition), its a good piece of kit and matched in many ways with the previous software i was used to using Pro Tools, I have now purchased this software and am eagerly awaiting its arrival with the intent of making more mini features for my end of year show reel.

As i said in my last entry I have just been given my first project to work on, in brief we've been set the challenge to create a 3 minute feature on anything of our choosing, I've chosen to base mine on dog racing. One of the reasons was that Poole has got one of the few racing tracks in the country and also my Uncle used to own an ex-racing dog (called Hub Hub), it also interested me as it is an emerging sport that is gaining more popularity as the years go on.

My second assignment brief is to come up with an application for a community radio station in the Bournemouth area and to pitch it to the head of licencing for Ofcom, leading on from that the dates for the heads of Radio2, 6, Absolute as well as BBC technicians are coming into talk to us and that's just for this semester!

And finally at the weekend I was working at Oxjam in Bournemouth, the event held over three days and numerous venues was held to raise money for Oxfam, my roll was to interview bands and the public to help document the event for the daily podcast and in a couple of months will be showcased in Manchester for the main event! It gave me real practical experience on equipment even though it was just Tascams it was good to get out in the field again!

I promise not to leave it so long till my next post, but in the mean time happy tuning!

No comments:

Post a Comment